Synesthete # 2 - Gender Fingers

Today I met another (naïve) synaesthete. My second 'discovery'. I'm not sure its always a good thing telling someone that they are different / special. This lovely, strong, and enviable woman found it hard to comprehend that she was unique and insisted we can all 'see it' if only we tried - tried to shut out the clutter of daily life - shut out the noise of the business of living.

Apart from some fairly common forms: colour / numeric / auditory, she remarkably had what I believe may be a new type of synaesthesia. She described gender specific digits. Each finger was a male, female, young male etc. How wonderful. She assured me they did not have a life of their own.

The clue to her special senses was when she talked about doing maths homework with her daughters and asking them to "pay attention to the colours".

P.S. I've met her again and she also has incredibly lucid flying dreams. Lucky girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment